We recently set up a mailing list for UoM UK Biobank users to connect with other UoM UK-Biobank users, ask questions and keep up to date with the community at the University. We would now like to invite UoM UK Biobank users and potential users to what we hope is the first of several events for our local community.
The event will take place on the 15th Nov and ultimately we would like these events to be researcher driven but, to kick off the first event, we have put together the following agenda:
Welcome from Research IT
Pen Richardson and George Leaver, Research IT Infrastructure and Platforms
UK Biobank data access and software for genome-wide association analysis
Dr Hui Guo, Division of Population Health, Health Services Research & Primary Care, School of Health Sciences, University of Manchester
Hui will share her experience of accessing the UK Biobank genotype data on the central server maintained by Research IT. She will also introduce some useful software for genome-wide association analysis.
UK Biobank: Past, present, and future
Chris Boultwood, Chief Information Officer, UK Biobank
This presentation will cover:
- A brief review of the history of UK Biobank, emphasising the growth in the use of the resource by researchers worldwide over the last few years;
- An update on the status of current major enhancement and access projects, in particular the Imaging Project and the Whole Genome Sequencing Vanguard Project;
- A summary of other future developments currently under discussion, including key points emerging from October’s International Scientific Advisory Board meeting
Discussion and feedback session
We would like to hear from you, the user community. Tell us what you like and don’t like about using UK Biobank datasets, what are you having problems or issues with? To get you started we have put together some suggestions below but please think of more in advance of the meeting.
- Data clean up
- Using the central compute platforms with UK Biobank datasets
- Feedback to UK Biobank
- Good practice / hints-n-tips for other groups
The event will take place on the 15th November at 2pm in Rm 5.206 in University Place. Refreshments will be provided so we would be grateful if you could register in advance at https://uomukbiobankoct2018.eventbrite.co.uk